Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Has it been a year already??

I guess it has—a whole year since I last posted here. Wow, that was some bender!

Actually, in the time I've been away from sponsible I've gotten in involved in other projects that have required as much of my time as sponsible once did. Let me tell you about them...

Physical Edison was an idea I first had about three years ago as I considered alternative energy sources. As a lifelong fitness devotee and someone involved in the industry, exercise is always near the forefront of my mind, so it was natural that my passion for the environment and my interest in fitness would inevitably merge. Physical Edison was the result.

The idea was to convert human energy on a grand scale into electricity. You see, we people expend enormous amounts of energy each day (measured in kilocalories), some of which goes to use; a lot of which is wasted. While converting human energy into electricity is by no means an original idea on my part, doing something substantial with the concept, as in human-powered gyms, was an idea whose time had come.

Along with my business partner Joe, I worked on PE for the better part of two years, along with input from the amazing Ed Begley, Jr., among others. I pitched the idea at consecutive Milken Global Conferences to people like Jerry Brown, Grey Davis, T. Boone Pickens and other movers and shakers. All were intrigued, none wanted to help me get the ball rolling.

The Physical Edison website was beautiful. It was built on a Joomla! framework and included our business plan and lots of supporting data. I was pround of our creation and despite the fact that I couldn't seem to be able to raise the funds to get the project started, hope sprung eternal... until I got hacked.

Last Fall I returned home from work to edit the site but couldn't log in to the back end. Then when I typed the URL into my browser I got a black screen with an ominous digital tune playing and the words "You've been hacked by Black Death" scrolling across the screen and an image of the Turkish flag waving. Great.

Long story short, it was beyond salvaging and so I took my misfortune as a sign that it was time to close the door on the project and open one to another. But that's a story for another post...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like boobs.

Shawn said...

Thanks for the insightful commentary.