Friday, October 10, 2008

Oops...

So, just four days into my month of buying only American-made goods I did a little shopping at Trader Joes, a place where I figured I could let my domestic product radar down. My bad. When I got home I came to find that I purchased a little plastic container of cherry tomatoes picked in Mexico.

Damn.

Now, I'm not nearly as upset as I would be if they had been grown in China or Taiwan or a place where we have a massive import to export disparity (in favor of import). In fact, Mexico is an amicable trade partner (except for the drug thing, which is a whole other story) and I suppose in a way, by supporting Mexican farm workers we lower their desire to come here illegally, where they take jobs from American (taxpaying) workers and get abused by a system hostile toward illegals.

Anyway, I'll be more careful from now on. Tasty tomatoes though!

No comments: